Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Students Q&A from my inbox (II)
Hello All,

Hope you are keeping safe and well.

This is the second round of questions I received in my email inbox, with focus on the project.

=====================

1) Is it okay if we prioritize the product backlog the way we want? Or should the 3 parts mentioned in the milestone be included before the extras?

Answer: prioritize as you see fit to the importance of features (must-haves, should-haves, and delighters), all in light of the parts mentioned in the milestone.

2) In the id column in the product backlog/API template, do we use new ids or do we get the ids from milestone1?

Answer: use the IDs from milestone 1, unless you discovered there are new requirements needed.

3) In the API template what should be written in the expected and response fields for a failure case? For exampla viewing a schedule should it be
a) response: error message & expected: error message
Or
b) responseConfusedchedule
expected: error message

Answer: expected is what should have shown in case of success. Both options do not correspond to logical behavior. Failure case is the exception and has no expectation. In case of failure, you receive an error whereas you ahould have received the correct output.

=====================

Question 1:
My understanding is that the test data is something I take as input from the font-end, so what happens when I have user stories that don't take a test data?
For example:
"View schedule" or "view attendance" 
Also, When I select something from a drop-down menu, and there was a database access error or any other failure so I couldn't write my test data as my selected Item from the list, what should be my test data? empty?

Answer: if user does not provide input then use default data. Selected items from dropdowns or any UI giving user items to select from are considered input.

Question 2:
What should be the request when I'm redirected to a static page that doesn't change depending on the user. For example, displaying this years academic calendar. The user clicks on the button, and the same calendar is displayed every time. So what should be the academic calendar API request.

Answer: could be current date, current credentials, academic year.

Question 3:
Should we include 100 user requirements or enough user requirements to cover 100 system requirements in the API template?
if we have 48 user stories that cover 100 system requirements, then I should submit 48 API requests and 96 test cases (positive + negative).

Answer: 100 system requirements.

Question 4:
Should we write the requirements as "view schedule" or "As a student, I should be able to view.." in API Template, or does it not differ?

Answer: as a ... is only used for user stories in the backlog.

Question 5:
I have changed a lot in the user/system requirements I submitted in milestone 1. So, the current user stories we chose cover the 100 system requirements; however, they are not the same as the ones submitted in Milestone 1. Is the product backlog enough or do you want us to re-write the system requirements again and submit them with the Product Backlog?

Answer: showcase the changes you made and justify why you made them. You should present the correct versions of the requirements in the final submission.

=====================

Should write the reason for the chosen point estimation value in all sprints or just the first one only?

Answer: ideally for all estimations especially if your initial estimations varied.

=====================

Regarding Milestone 2 & 3 (Test cases) are we going to create
a mockup for each test case ? If it's failure or success case ? are we going to create 2 cases for each one requirement ?

Answer: you test success and failure for each test case.

=====================
The first question is do we put in the product back log system or user requirements because i understood from the lecture that the client is actually the main character that puts it so he/she probably puts user requirements.

Answer: product backlog has user requirements, system requirements translated to tasks are in the sprint backlog.

The second is that in the ID column do we put the IDs from the milestone1 template or is it just by order in the new template.

Answer: refer to reply to questions above.

the third is that me and my team we made the mockups on marvel which was suggested in the milestone description but it seems that we can't download the project without a paid membership so can't we just submit the username and password?

Answer: check submission guidelines and explore the available options provided by the SE tea.

=====================

1) When doing the user interface, is it required that we do CSS? Can we just write basic HTML lines?

Answer: CSS is a better approach software-engineering wise, as it eliminates need to duplicate the styling code, and shows that you understand the concepts of reuse and minimal duplication, which are good practices to reduce unintentional errors. Complex styling must be separated in css. If you do not have much cash and your interface is basic, it shouldn't be much trouble to either separate style or embed it in html. Bottom line, as long as your interface design is usable, you should be fine.

2) When revising our milestone one, I noticed a grave mistake I never noticed before, it can be edited, however, I am having worries that that might jeopardize my team's grades in milestone one. So, is MS1 counted? Or we just work on

Answer: it is valid to revise requirements and optimize them before embarking on design and implementation. Do indicate your change and how you fixed it. This is affect grading for milestone 2, but milestone 1 is being graded already based on your submissions.

=====================

Two questions with same scope:

I managed to export my prototype as an HTML pages but unlike the prototype, they aren't clickable. Is that Okay? In that case do we have to explore each and every functionality we implemented so that we show the working prototype?

We have 2 problems regarding exporting our project from marvel; the first problem is that it is paid, and the second problem is that it only has 3 option to export as (pdf,zip and android). The only way we can share the project with each other was via the link.

Answer: check the submission guidelines for the options provided by the SE team.

=====================

Question about when to design APIs

Answer: The API is essentially the interface you want to give to your system, so that 5he user does not have to concern themselves with the internal operations. So, input and output that relates to any UI is a sort of API. However, the technical meaning of an API is the messages you want to allow users to send to your system and the outputs qsigni g your system, to determine the points in your system that you want to expose to the public.

=====================

Best of luck,

Mervat